Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Black Swan

Not much to say. This one was a little too much for me in all aspects. I don’t know what to call it…. too “artsy”, “risqué”, “bold” for my tastes.
I like Natalie Portman (V for Vendetta The Professional, Star Wars, Garden State), USUALLY. I like Vincent Cassel (Oceans 12, Shrek), USUALLY. However, I cannot say Darren Aronofsky ( Pi, The Fountain, The Wrestler, Requiem for a Dream) went far off kilter from his styling as a director. I did not expect it to be so explicit, however. Mila Kunis does a “good” job of playing Portman’s nemesis/alter-ego. It took me 20 minutes of pondering after the film to decide what to say about the movie and I am still at a loss…
The twists were great and I can now say I have had a look into the competitive, visceral underworld  of NYC ballet…but the scenes that you pray you never have to sit through with your family (awkward moments) don’t really ADD to the film…. read the book instead (probably better) as books usually are….
Elementary Grading Scale: Progressing Satisfactorily
1-10: 6??

1 comment:

  1. I went to see the film hoping to like it and not find I had wasted my time. I loved this film. Wendy Ord (dir./wrt.) did a great job of leading you in so many directions and fooling you with most of them.

    ReplyDelete