Friday, September 3, 2010

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Scott Pilgrim must defeat his new girlfriend's seven evil exes in order to win her heart. After a fairly easy break up with his "under-aged" girlfriend, Knives, Scott (Michael Cera) becomes smitten by a new girl, Ramona, played by Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Unfortunately, she brings along some baggage in that her 7 ex-boyfriends are ticked off and want to crush Pilgrim. Thus, unrolls the saga of a fight for the hand of Ramona. A video game world of points, extra lives, bonuses and humanly impossible fight moves develops so that Scott Pilgrim can reign victorious. Along the way, he learns valuable lessons about himself and what really matters.
I was happy to see that it was the marketing team of this movie that was at fault, as opposed to the movie itself. The commercials I saw failed to interest me ( I was taking one for the team when I chose this one. JUST so I could tell my readers. You're welcome). The movie ended up being less cheesy than the ads, still had its fair share of eye rolling scenes, but was fast paced enough to make me forget about those moments as they moved on to the next "level". The music was not my type of rock. I think you would have to be a fan of indy bands like The Hives to really appreciate the soundtrack, but overall, it's worth a rent or a download. Don't waste your time sitting at a theater.

Elementary Grading Scale: Progressing Satisfactorily
1-10: 6.5

1 comment:

  1. I went to watch this movie because of the high score. I did not find the trailer attractive at all and I thought it can be a movie I watch on DVD rather than going to cinema..Don't spend money on this film.

    ReplyDelete