Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Cop Out

I went into this film scared that it was going to ruin Tracy Morgan for me. I was on the borderline with him, walking this thin line between "overly-stupid" and "straight-up genius" Go to far to the stupid, and it stops being funny....not stupid enough, and its not funny enough sometimes. Actors like Morgan must be careful in their roles as comedians in how they play that type of role. I was happily surprised to find that Tracy Morgan made the movie great! For many scenes, he carried it and made the film THAT much better. Bruce Willis did his fare share playing the "straight-man" in this cop-duo that reminded me a lot of the classic films, Beverly Hills Cop, 48 Hours, and Lethal Weapon. Jimmy and Paul are too cops, suspended after a shoot-out-gone-wrong and are desperate to find a missing baseball card that Jimmy (Willis) had stolen in a pawn shop robbery. Sounds cheesy but as the film went on, it really flowed well and I never felt like it was some far-fetched story line. I was genuinely entertained. As the chase goes on they find themselves working for a bad guy doing his dirty work just to get this "priceless" baseball card back to pay for Jimmy's daughters wedding and shutting up the rich step dad who has it out for him.
I really liked this film. Like I said earlier, Tracy Morgan ROCKED! I could see a sequel coming out of this because the cop duo had great chemistry and the film definitely was fun and exciting. All you 80's cop movie fans will agree!

My Elementary Grading Scale: Exceeding Expectations
1-10: 8

1 comment:

  1. The film is split into 2 parts. The first being the funnier one, goes from beginning to around the scene where Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan's characters team up with the main villain, Pullboy.

    ReplyDelete