Sunday, March 7, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

All respect to Johnny Depp. Other than that, I feel like this Disney Classic was ruined by turning it into a real(ish)-life take on the book by Lewis Carrol. Very similar to the cartoon version, the 2010 film failed to make an impact. If not for our advancements in computer technology, there would not be too much to say about this film. In an attempt to make the film more adult-friendly, Tim Burton tried to give the story a fairly darker edge and included some "other-worldly" characters to roam through this fantasy land.
I am sure all who are reading this know the story of Alice's adventures in Wonderland: the Cheshire Cat, The Red Queen, The White Queen, Blue Caterpillar, Mad Hatter (Depp) and so on. I should lay out a disclaimer about how I am fairly skiddish when it comes to animation and/or a combination of "real" and "CGI". I simply am just not a fan. So, knowing that, there is possibly an unfair balance on what I say about the film since MOSTLY everything of the film was enhanced. The story was the same so if you have seen the original, you MAY just be good with that. However, I know everyone will still want to go see Johnny Depp play another "crazy" role which is becoming his forte. I still like him in Donnie Brasco.

My Elementary Grading Scale: Progressing Satisfactorily
1-10: 6.5

1 comment:

  1. The movie is almost 100% bright Disney nothing. Alice has virtually no reaction to the amazing things that happen to her, whether attacks from a furry Bandersnatch or a chance to wear a full shiny suit of armor.

    ReplyDelete